The Beverley Party
Home Aims Our Pledge Councillors News Candidates

News

14th June 2015

Beverley Town Council Committees have now been decided for the next year. The two main ones are Policy and Planning. The make up of these Committees for the next year is shown below.

















Name

Party

Policy

Planning

Machen N

Beverley Party



Begnett R

Beverley Party

X

X

Pearson B

Conservative Party

X

X

Elvidge D

Conservative Party

X

X

Aird E

Conservative Party


X

Peacock D

Conservative Party

X


Cooper G

Conservative Party

X

X

Dodsworth

Independent

X

X

Jack D

Independent

X


Astell P

Labour Party



Astell T

Labour Party



McGrath P

Labour Party

X


Willis A

Labour Party


X

Cooper B

Labour Party


X

The nature of the election held for these positions, in the opinion of The Beverley Party, is seriously flawed. This is something we will be seeking to change.

16th June 2015

Town Council Meeting 16th June 2015 Beverley Party Notes

(These are NOT official minutes)


Meeting Commenced 18:59


Matters Arising from 2014 Minutes: Samman Road Centre has been sold by ERYC, the Town Council will follow up Leisure Centre costs with Beverley Barracudas and Beverley Swimming Clubs as this has not been done. The council held two meetings with Molescroft and Woodmansey Parish Councils during the last year.


A resident put forward the idea of an indoor games facility on Beck View Road opposite the Laurels and Lilacs site and suggested the Grovehill Area Action Group should be involved. This idea was supported by former Mayor Martin Cox who would like to see a mixed-use development here, which would include a public park.


Beate Willar made a point about the future use of the St Nicholas School building and its potential as a youth centre. She also proposed that Town Council implement a Neighbourhood Plan for Beverley which would could stand alongside the Local Development Plan ERYC are promoting when developments in the town are proposed.


Howard Tomlinson believed there was a need to form a cohesive unit to link together the various groups fighting individual causes across Beverley. Mr Tomlinson believes that the Town Council could have a role here. The Mayor confirmed that this point would be debated in the future.


Following some discussion about allotments, Margaret Pinder made the point that it was not easy to talk about Beverley without reference to Molescroft and Woodmansey and the overall loss of playing fields and what ERYC promised in response to the loss of playing fields in Swinemoor. The Town Council agreed to follow this point up. Geoff Cooper said there was a lot of youth provision in the town but some of it had fallen into disrepair. Beate Willar then made the point that this is true for younger kids but not for older ones who need a hub and somewhere to hang out, i.e. do things by themselves. Shellie Horst brought up the subject of St Nicholas School and the lack of a plan for the future of the site and mentioned they had recently set up an after school club in the building. The Mayor said that ERYC have provided nothing to date on plans for this site.


Following this there was a long debate between Bryan Pearson, Martin Cox and others about a vision for the Town Council going forward and whether the Council had achieved its aspirations in the past and the cost of administration. Beate Willar took this latter point and suggested that the Town Council should look at how it spends its money and how it could get together with Woodmansey and Molescroft Parish Councils to take on ERYC and support residents across the four parishes. Mrs Willar stressed that working together is essential as is contested elections, rather than the co-opting of members. The Mayor said many of the issued raised tonight were the responsibility of ERYC and that he believes there will be boundary changes in the future and asked for ideas to be shared to approach ERYC with a united voice.


Kieran Sheehan asked if the Town Council would review its procedures for elections to committees as the make-up of these did not faithfully reflect the make-up of the council. The Mayor clarified the point being made and Mr Sheehan stressed that some parties on the council appeared to be under-represented on key committees, such as Planning and Policy and whether, as the council was only made up of 14 members, committees were required at all. Margaret Pinder agreed the point about party representation on committees.


Following this there was another debate between Bryan Pearson, The Mayor and others about the Samman Road Centre and there were different figures mentioned for the annual cost of running the facility. However, The Mayor suggested we look forward now and the Council should not miss such an opportunity were one to arise again. He also expressed his disappointment that the press were not present to report the points being made at this meeting.


Adam Hawley returned to the topic of how the Town Council spends its money and the need to do this better for the benefit of the people of Beverley who, when they oppose ERYC’s plans, are picked off one by one by ERYC’s large legal team. There was then a sharp exchange of views between Bryan Pearson, Adam Hawley and Margaret Pinder.


Barbara English asked whatever happened to Southwood? The developers don’t seem to want to do this and ERYC do not appear to be forcing the issue. Prof English further made the point that everyone is passionate about Beverley and there are visions and projects all across the town and together these ideas are greater than the sum of their parts.


Kieran Sheehan made a point about the importance of wildlife corridors to increase biodiversity within the town by linking its green areas to each in other in line with Government policy. The Laurels and Lilacs site is ideally placed to act as a ‘green lung’ for the town and can act as a corridor linking Figham Common, via The Beck to Swinemoor. Bryan Pearson said he opposed the sale of the Laurels and Lilacs site and in the past put forward his own plan for the site, which included a park.


Chris Harrod asked if the money that was put aside for the relocation of the Town Council could be used for public good. The Mayor confirmed this was £75k. He also confirmed that the Town Clerk will follow-up a question from a resident about the ownership of St Nicholas School with ERYC.


Martin Cox brought up the topic of housing, implying it was the ‘Elephant in the room’ and that this was putting the infrastructure of the town at risk. The Mayor said that councillors will be consulted on this but most of this development was proposed in Woodmansey Parish but they may well choose to consult with Beverley Town Council on this. Duncan Jack made the point that anyone can comment on planning applications and Martin Cox agreed this was a good point. Beate Willar suggested that the Town Council could take a more active role in letting the public know about proposals that might affect them and that these should not be considered a ‘done deal.’ Doing this would help to empower individuals.


Meeting closed 20:19

12th March 2016

Town Council Meeting 8th March 2016 Beverley Party Notes

Note: these are NOT official minutes!

This year these have been posted  as a PDF and this can be found HERE.